One of the events to fall victim to the COVID-19 pandemic was The Dutch Trading Co's annual Tropical Darkness.
If you're not aware of it, as venue boss Joel puts it: "We go full jungle/Hawaiian theme in the venue but pour only the biggest and baddest stouts, barleywines and so on."
In its place, however, has arisen a new event...
"Sludgefest is the same except no jungle but we will have a barleywine competition between Cheeky Monkey, Otherside, Rocky Ridge, Wild Hops, Indian Ocean and Beerfarm," Joel says.
Add in imperial, barrel-aged and pastry stouts, Cascadian dark ale and Doppelbocks and you've got some seriously big beers.
They're also raiding the cellar for the first time, with treats unearthed there to include:
- Verticals of Sierra Bigfoot from 2016
- Verticals of Founders KBS from 2014 plus some CBS
- Verticals of JW Lees from 2011 – its first commercial release in Australia
- Oaklore release – 18 bottles
- De Struise Black Damnations – multiple variants
And they're raffling off an Anchorage Deal with the Devil and launching a collab they've been keeping quiet for months...
It runs from July 31 to August 2.
- Ballast Point Rum BA Sea Monster
- Boatrocker Coffee Ramjet 2019
- De Struise Black Damnation II Mocha 2016
- Dollar Bill Baltic Porter
- Dugges Big Idjit Imperial Stout
- Fierce Beer / Tiny Rebel Bear Essentials Barleywine
- Kees/ Alphabet You Cant Buy Happiness
- Otherside Triple Vinyl
- Omnipollo Eidolon
- Tilquin Rullquin
- War Pigs Sky Burial Barleywine
- Westbrook 7th Anniversary
- Wolf of the Willow Lark BA Johnny Smoked Porter 2019