There are few, if any, days in the annual beer calendar that fire up as much discussion around beer as the one on which the results of the GABS Hottest 100 Aussie Craft Beers are unveiled.
The poll might have started out as a bit of fun for staff and customers at The Local Taphouse in St Kilda, but over more than a decade it has become a national event attracting tens of thousands of votes.
There have never been more new releases in a year than 2020, so it might make picking your top five trickier than ever, but will it shake up the top of the tree where familiar faces have taken up residence in recent years?
Voting in the 2020 poll in Australia closes on January 15, with results set to be unveiled on Saturday, January 23.
If you're new to the poll, it's pretty simple: head to the GABS voting page and enter the five beers you've loved most in 2020 – whether they're old favourites or new arrivals.
Once the votes have been tallied, you can follow the countdown from 100 to one then look out for our analysis, infographic and interviews with the people behind the best-performing beers.
Everyone who votes is entered into a draw to win 11 Single Session tickets to attend GABS Festival 2021 in either Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne. The winner will be selected randomly from all voters in the poll.
Check out our 2019 coverage here.
- Only one vote is permitted per person. GABS reserves the right to remove votes, or voting behaviour, that appear to break this rule, be manufactured, or we deem to be false or not in the spirit of the poll.
- Beers must have been brewed in Australia and sold in kegs, cans or bottles in the 2020 calendar year.
- Australian beer brands deemed by GABS as ‘non-craft’ (eg. Crown Lager, Toohey’s) are ineligible. International craft brands brewed in Australia (eg. Brooklyn Brewery, BrewDog, Goose Island), are also ineligible.
- Australian craft brands brewed by multinational companies or supermarket chains (eg. Matilda Bay, James Squire, Little Creatures, Cricketers Arms, Mountain Goat, 4 Pines, Feral and Steamrail) are eligible.
- No brands or breweries other than GABS are permitted to offer prizes, incentives or inducements of any value in exchange for votes for beers, or promote the poll in a way that could be perceived as such. Brands and breweries are not permitted to ask for proof of votes.
- Any breaches of the above terms, intentional or otherwise, will lead to the brand/brewery and/or voter being disqualified. GABS’ decision on all matters related to the integrity of the poll is final and no correspondence will be entered into.