Tasmania is the source of most of the hops grown in Australia, which seems as good a reason as any to hold an annual celebration in their honour.
So that's what they do at Saint John Craft Beer in Launceston. The venue – one of the best in Australia, we reckon – holds an annual Fresh Hop Festival and, in 2017, is stepping things up.
There will be 26 fresh hop beers brewed with hops picked and into the kettle within 48 hours being tapped for the first time, but there's lots more besides, including:
- Live Q&As and masterclasses (including some hosted by The Crafty Pint)
- A Brewers Brunch with Ocho Beer at the city's Sebel hotel
- A wet hop homebrew competition open to brewers from all over Australia
- Live music and entertainment, headlined by The Psychedelic Porn Crumpets from Perth, and food trucks
Cost: Entry costs $15 plus BF in advance for Friday and Saturday; $20 on the door.
Admission on Sunday is free. There are other sessions and the brunch on sale separately.
The Crafty Pint is delighted to be partnering with such a unique festival. We've hooked up with the organisers to line up an array of specials for new and existing supporters of our beer lovers bonus scheme, The Crafty Cabal. They are:
- Two double passes to each day of the festival for existing members
- Six festival packages featuring weekend entry, tasting tokens and t-shirts for new signups
- A prize pack for Cabalistas featuring two tickets to each day plus two seats at the Brewers Brunch
Existing members can register & enter the competition in their member's area.
Full Brewer Lineup
- Van Dieman
- Moo Brew
- Bruny Island Beer
- Hop Trial
- Bridge Road Brewers
- Modus Operandi
- Stone & Wood
- Hobart Brewing Co
- The Winston
- Little Rivers
- Fox Friday
- Last Rites
- Captain Bligh's
- Spotty Dog
- Ocho Beer
- Double Head
- Church Hill
- Seven Sheds
- Iron House
- Hargreaves Hill
- The Eleventh Order