Urban Alley operate an impressive and highly-sustainable brewery in Docklands right beneath the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel.
If you'd like to brew beer at that iconic location, they're looking for a new head brewer.
Job Description: Head Brewer
Full-time position; first 30 days probationary period. The Head Brewer will operate primarily on-site at Urban Alley Brewery in Docklands, Melbourne.
- At least 3+ yrs experience in brewery operations such as wort production, cellar management, packaging, sensory analysis, and QC.
- Experience with production planning and tank scheduling
- Staff management experience / “team leader”
- Solid understanding of beer production operations, end- to-end ("grain to glass")
- Sensory expertise and fault identification
- Strong computer and written communication skills
- Must be physically capable and willing to participate in any brewing, cellar and packaging activities, while prioritising time management to allow for all administrative and management duties to remain fulfilled.
The right candidate would ideally have:
- Existing relationships with suppliers in beer industry
- Higher education qualification/degree/certificate
- Qualification in relevant field i.e., brewing, malting, yeast biology, etc.
- Strong background in recipe design
Must be ready to work with quickly changing deadlines and in a dynamic environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reviewing Demand History and planning for minimum stock levels (raw materials, packaging materials, and finished goods)
- Planning future brews and scheduling packaging to satisfy stock plan
- Planning and ordering raw materials and packaging materials.
- Maintaining inventory system as operations occur
- Staff rostering
- Yeast management and microbiology sampling
- Brewing / wort production
- Packaging (kegging and canning)
- Executing monthly stocktakes
- FV quality control sampling
- Yeast microbiology sampling
- Operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Complete all necessary paperwork accurately and on time.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent, with a certificate or other advanced education in mechanical maintenance or engineering is desirable. Any formal education in brewing and/or Fermentation Sciences is preferred.
- Brewing experience: minimum 3 years’ experience in a commercial brewery setting
- Have a good understanding of Excel, Word and other standard programs for brewery functions.
- Forklift license and driver’s license are desirable but not mandatory.
If you are looking for an opportunity to take the next step in your career, please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com.