If you're an experienced brewer looking for a change of pace and to join a new industry, Vow might have the perfect job for you.
The Sydney-based food company brings cutting-edge innovations together to create sustainable food from animal cells.
Job Description: Process Development Associate
Vow is a food company - a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells instead of the animal itself.
We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, culinary and design to make sustainable food that’s both irresistible and available to billions of people worldwide.
Vow is looking for a passionate Associate to join our Process Development team, which is responsible for scaling up Vow’s manufacturing processes. This is an incredible opportunity to learn and apply the latest techniques in cultured meat manufacturing as they move from research to application. You are a critical thinker who thrives amongst the details as you work to produce high quality products. The nature of the work necessitates patient, careful and considered attention towards sensitive processing systems. You will constantly improve our manufacturing processes to ensure they remain on the cutting edge of cultured meat tech.
Cross-functional collaboration is at the heart of what we do at Vow - making sustainable, abundant and irresistible food. You will work day-to-day with a team of incredible scientists, engineers, operators, and designers who are relentlessly passionate about food and creating a better future for our planet.
There has never been a better opportunity to join Vow and help shape the future of what process development and manufacturing mean for our future food systems.
The experience you will bring:
- A background in fermentation or cell culture process development within a GMP environment
- Fermentation or bioreactor operation up to 2000 L (20 hL)
- Experience in implementing food manufacturing and packing line facilities/processes
- Experience in a laboratory setting working with cell culture (suspension or adherent) is ideal, but not a must
- Knowledge of Food HACCP plans or Quality Management Systems (ISO9001, ISO13485 or similar)
- Experience developing SOPs in academia or industry
- High degree of technical competence and scientific awareness
- Flexibility to carry out shift work/weekend work if required
- Ability to work within a close knit team environment
A ‘hacker mentality’, or a non-traditional pathway into science is a big plus for us. We are looking for candidates who can work autonomously and always feel empowered to find better ways to do things. Ultimately this role will be shaped around the right candidate. If you love the mission and have evidence that you can make a strong contribution towards it, we want to speak to you.
- Drive the entire manufacturing process, from thawing cells, to large-scale cell culture, to maturation and final harvest
- Lay the foundation of Vow’s pilot manufacturing process , producing cultured meat at scale in our bioreactors
- Develop novel processes for the culture of cells at ever-increasing scale for human consumption
- Adhere to Vow’s quality management system and actively improve Vow's standard operating procedures
- Document manufacturing processes for quality assurance and reproducibility
- General lab upkeep, cleaning and maintenance tasks as required
- Quality and safety testing on each batch you produce
- Work with (and mentor) junior members of our manufacturing team
- Collaborate with our multidisciplinary team of engineers, food inventors and product designers to solve challenging scientific problems in new ways and to create the most amazing food products the world has ever seen
What success looks like in this role:
- In your first month you will have successfully integrated yourself into Vow’s Manufacturing Team. By the end of the first month you should be able to point to how your work is swinging the pendulum towards success for scaling up our manufacturing processes.
- After three months you will have implemented multiple process improvements within the Manufacturing pilot plant and contributed to necessary milestones for our first product launch in Singapore.
- By the end of your first year at Vow you will have made significant contributions to help the Manufacturing team successfully bring amazing new products to market. You will have played a key role in transforming our pilot plant into a well oiled machine.
Vow, more than just a job
Who we are and why join:
- We are building a diverse, mission-driven dream team of “Vowzers.” Our mission is to make food products for everyone. To do that well we need a workforce that’s representative of the people we serve. We celebrate multiple approaches and points of view - so we’re building a culture to match. Be yourself and come as you are.
- Work on cutting-edge technology. We’re bringing together cutting-edge innovations in science, engineering, and food, to recreate the world’s most tantalising and unique culinary experiences. All without compromising on ethics or our planet along the way. Since our inception in 2019, we have held the title of being the first startup to culture meat from the cells of an undomesticated animal, and have served up our exotic meats ranging from kangaroo dumplings to alpaca sliders in tastings with world-renowned chefs.
- Work with and learn from the best. Our team includes some of the world’s leading scientists, innovators, operators, and creatives with decades of industry experience. Despite our experiences though, we all strive to build, break, learn, and repeat. We see the impossible as temporary and strive to learn and support our company and fellow Vowzers' growth as much as possible.
- We’re fully funded and ready to go. We are a growing Aussie biotech start-up backed by Square Peg Capital, Blackbird Ventures, Grok Ventures and Tenacious Ventures. *Read more about why our investors are so excited about the future of Vow here.*
Vow perks and benefits:
- Everyone is an owner. In addition to competitive base salaries, each and every ‘Vowzer’ owns part of the company so we can all benefit from our hard work.
- Generous equal parental leave. We offer 12 weeks paid parental leave.
- Generous relocation budget & support. Support for interstate or overseas individuals and their families (including pets!)
- Flexible working hours and location. We value work-life balance. While we’re mostly back in the office, you’re free to decide the best way for you to work.
- Unlimited Personal Leave. At Vow we recognize that sometimes you need time off to recoup, look after your mental health, or simply deal with an emergency. We put unlimited personal leave in place to empower you to truly bring your best self to work every single day and you are always paid for days taken off as personal leave.
- Transparent culture. Active transparency to let you effectively contribute to every facet of the business.
- Heaps of tasty samples from our culinary centre. Our fantastic "food inventors" on th Vow team are always cooking up new product prototypes, and all Vowzers are given the opportunity to taste, give feedback, and learn from their culinary prowess
- Company wide professional development & coaching. A huge focus on career support and growth, with access to lots of learning and development opportunities through lunch and learn events, access to webinars and conferences, and networking with our investor and tech community.
- Company wide social events. Monthly birthday celebrations, "Bio Brew" happy hours, breakfast before our fortnightly companywide "All Hands”, annual end of year event and many more.
- An awesome converted warehouse office in Alexandria. Complete with a glass-walled lab, free snacks, a culinary centre and cafe, and a DIY workshop for all hands-on projects.
- Human and dog friendly office! An inclusive community and culture, in a welcomingg office, complete with friendly “Vowzer” dogs!
- A variety of social clubs. We encourage all our Vowzer’s to build the culture with us and share what you love by creating social clubs across the business. From book clubs to hiking groups, we’re always looking for ways to learn and engage with our team.