Hawkers has rapidly grown to become one of the largest independent breweries in Australia. If you'd like to join the team putting out a wide range of beers, they're on the hunt for a senior brewer / brewery manager.
JOB DESCRIPTION: BREWERY MANAGER / SENIOR BREWER
Our Brewery Manager/Senior Brewer reports to the CEO and oversees brewing, packaging and QA/QC.
The Brewery Manager/Senior Brewer is responsible for all aspects of the brewing, packaging, and logistics process, aligns department objectives with those of the entire organization and supports/develops all employees within the Brewing Team. You are the beer expert in the Brewery. Nothing should happen without you knowing about it. The Brewery Manager/Senior Brewer manages a leadership team. This person models a balance of the passion and fun of working in the craft beer industry with the business and leadership skills required to drive progress and get the job done right. Most importantly, they make sure that the excellent beer we produce continues to be excellent!
- Lead, manage and communicate priorities with the production/brewing manager, supply chain/warehouse manager and ensure their teams are optimized and efficient.
- Formulate production, operations and logistic strategies.
- Act like an owner and run the brewery as such, ensuring we are meeting the highest standards and running at peak performance.
- Advise the CEO on key decisions.
- Brew the right amount of quality beer.
- Participation as an active member of Hawkers senior leadership team.
- Confer and consult with other department heads.
- Represent company at conferences, trade events, clients events, festivals, and speaking engagements to promote company and products.
- Oversee all brewery operations including production, packaging, maintenance, logistics, and quality control.
- Develop, implement and evaluate improvement initiatives designed to facilitate greater production efficiencies and quality.
- Direct, coordinate, and manage short and long term production planning in accordance with sales forecasts and demands.
- Research industry trends to continuously enhance the brewery, product offerings, and operational standards.
- Collaborate with the brewery leadership team on the development of brewery policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Ensure policies, procedures, and protocols are upheld and exceeding expectations through audits and inspections to deliver quality, sanitation, and safety standards in all areas.
- Assess equipment improvement projects and purchases to maximize benefit from capital investments.
- Provides review and oversight of Quality Assurance / Quality Control techniques and procedures to continuously improve the quality and consistency of our products.
- Collaborate on new beer development, including recipe creation, evaluation of new ingredients, and styles.
- Responsible for all inventory within the company covering grain to landing on the back dock of 3PL warehouses.
- Lead a team of department managers, including production, packaging manager, and warehouse manager along with their staff.
- Monitor staffing, expenses, and resource management to fulfil requirements.
- Plan and direct staffing, training, and performance evaluations.
- Communicate regularly with the entire brewery staff to keep them apprised of company and brewery objectives and performance levels.
- Assume a teaching role in staff development, program creation / implementation, and evaluation.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government requirements.
- Ensure a safe working environment for employees by maintaining facility equipment in optimal working condition.
- Use financial statements, sales reports, and other data to measure production performance and determine areas for cost reduction and improvement.
- Establish key metrics and develop plans to provide accurate lean accounting and inventory controls to drive cost effective actions.
- Prepare budgets and approve budget expenditures.
Education / Experience / Skills
- BA/BS in a natural science, business, engineering or related field.
- Formal brewing education or equivalent hands-on experience in the trade that can be used in place of formal education.
- A minimum of 5+ years of progressive experience within a brewery environment.
- Working knowledge and passion for the craft beer industry.
- Leadership skills with a proven ability to lead and motivate team members.
- Decision-making and analytical skills.
- Ability to manage a complex, fast-paced environment through multi-tasking, and prioritising to easily adapt to changing situations.
- Professional and proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in business, analytics and organizational tools. Ex – Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Acute sensory perception to distinguish subtle differences in colour, taste, and smell.
- Proficient in MRP / ERP software.
Working Conditions / Environment
- Brewery & warehouse environment with manufacturing hazards, such as hoses and chemicals.
- Surrounded by beer and like-minded beer nerds.
Salary package will be commensurate with experience, skills and abilities.
Email your CV to email@example.com along with a short description about why you are the right fit for Hawkers.
Applications close October 31, 2018.