Well, sort of. The days of actually having a staff member at Crafty Towers remain in the future, but we are looking for more contributors to help us improve our coverage of the rapidly expanding Aussie beer world.
If you can write, have an eye for a story, love great beer and know something about it, then we want to hear from you.
The aim is to have contributors in every corner of Australia where good beer is found. Whether you’re someone who might have only a couple of stories to tell each year or someone fully immersed in your local beer scene with plenty to say, we’ve got a 50,000-strong* and growing audience that you can reach and enlighten.
Ultimately, we’re looking for at least one person to be regularly reporting on each state, with Tasmania in particular need of some eyes and ears on the ground. Over time, as the site grows, there will also be opportunities for broader editorial roles.
What content are we looking for?
Stories. Stories. Stories. Above all else, we’re looking for contributors to send in stories from all parts of the beer world. These could be:
- New brewery or venue openings
- New trends or themes in the industry
- Collaborations of note
- Outstandingly interesting beers
- Major awards for brewers
- Interviews with people doing interesting things
- Brewery anniversaries
- Beer travel stories
- Cool shit we haven't thought of here
What are we not looking for?
- Opinion – The Crafty Pint is first and foremost a news and information resource for beer lovers and the beer world. We provide information in the best, most timely and entertaining way we can. We very rarely stray into commenting on issues, preferring instead to present news and allow people to make up their own minds.
- Beer reviews – we handle these in house
- Event reviews – other than in exceptional cases, an event is only likely to be of interest to those who attended once it’s over. We prefer to tell people about them beforehand.
What are we looking for in our writers?
If you can take decent photos too, all the better.
What are we offering?
- Money on a per article basis. We won’t make you rich but we won’t take the piss and expect you to write for free as many online publications do. The site's founder was a young journo once and doesn’t want others to have to write for free like he did.
- The chance to write for a large and growing audience of beer lovers and beer industry people.
- Feedback on your articles and writing style, where appropriate. The site's founder is a journalist with more than a decade's experience writing for newspapers and magazines as well as online and authoring 150 Great Australian Beers.
- Opportunity. Through our extensive network of friends and acquaintances in the Aussie beer world (and beyond) we can open doors for you to gain access to the people and places that make it what it is.
- Potential to take on a greater role in the future.
If you’re interested and bursting with ideas, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org. Examples of your work would be greatly appreciated.
Deadline for applications is August 14, 2015.
* Audience figures based on current monthly unique visitors to the site, social media audience and newsletter recipients