The specifics of the conversation are hard to recall, but a little over seven years ago we took a call from some guys wanting to get the lay of the land as it related to the state of Sydney's beer scene.
Inspired by some of the best beer bars overseas, they evidently had this idea that Sydney needed one of its own – and they were going to make it happen.
And didn't they just.
If you'd like to raise a glass to the little gem that is Bitter Phew, head along any time over the weekend beginning January 22 as they celebrate their seventh birthday with a glut of rare kegs chosen by staff, rare bottles, a dedicated Jester King tap, a charity sausage sizzle and, of course, birthday cake.
- Jordan: La Sirène x Jester King 'Barrel #142' Single Barrel Wild Ale
- Cam: To Øl 'Jule Mælk' Imperial Milk Stout
- Isaac: Two Metre Tall 'Black Snake' Dark Ale/Barrel-Aged Cider Blend
- Ollie: Crooked Stave 'Mystery Keg'
- Em: Two Metre Tall 'Sour Cherry 2016 Vintage' Barrel-Aged Wild Ale
- Lewis: Founders 'Backwoods Bastard 2016 Vintage' Bourbon Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy
- Aaron: Jester King 'Necrølith' Hill Country Sourdough Imperial Stout
Note that not all the above beers will be on at the same time and kegs will change daily, so keep a close eye on social media for updates if there's something you're particularly keen on trying. And be fast.