Brownstone beers have been brewed for close to a decade in Eumemmerring in Melbourne's outer southeast.
Over the last few years, Hendo from Rockstar Brewer has been managing the brewery and using it as a training ground for brewers keen to get hands-on experience in a brewery.
As they prepare to expand in 2020, they're looking to hire an inexperienced brewer keen to get a start in the industry.
Job Description: Brewer
Brownstone Microbrewery is a brewpub located in the Atura Hotel in Eummemmering, a suburb of South East Melbourne you’ve probably never heard of.
We’re currently seeking a green but hungry brewer looking for an entry level position looking to make a start in the brewing industry.
About Brownstone Microbrewery and Rockstar Brewer
Brownstone Microbrewery has been around for about 10 years and was formerly known as the Coldwater Creek Tavern.
Hendo of Rockstar Brewer has been managing the brewery since 2013.
Brownstone runs a 500L, 2-vessel, electric brewhouse with just one 500L fermenter and two serving tanks.
You heard that right. Just. One. 500L. Fermenter. But all that is about to change with upgrades to the brewery plant and equipment scheduled to take place in 2020.
This little set up is an award winning brewery having won the 2018 Gary Sheppard Trophy for Best New Exhibitor at the Australian International Beer Awards as well as several Silver and Bronze medals at the AIBAs in 2019.
So - here’s the problem we face. We get it. We need a new brewer. It’s a small brewery and hiring someone experienced has proved to be difficult in the past.
But we believe that beer people are good people. We’ve embraced the good beer movement thing and we traditionally hire brewers who have little to no experience and teach them to become industry professionals.
Our arrangement is that Hendo of Rockstar Brewer manages the brewery and the brewer gets in and does the brewing at Brownstone and learns heaps along the way.
Our past brewers have learnt the ropes and they’ve gone on to become professional brewers in the industry after a 12 month commitment at Brownstone. This year, we’re looking for someone who wants to eventually take their role from part time to full time once the brewery upgrades are complete.
We’re looking to kick start another brewing career into this amazing industry.
About the Brewer Role
We are specifically seeking an inexperienced brewer….a rookie, if you will.
No – not that “inexperienced-brewer-but-you-need-3-years-of-experience” bollocks…..a genuine inexperienced brewer.
We’re after the following type of person. You are:
- Someone who already has permission to work and live in Australia.
- Someone who is passionate about brewing as well as beer itself.
- Someone who is willing to eventually make the move into the brewing industry.
- Someone who may be an accomplished home brewer….or not….we don’t care….but
- Someone who is willing to learn….fast, do the hard yards and look at this opportunity as part of playing the “long game” as a career move into the brewing industry.
- Someone who is physically fit enough to be able to lift 25kg above their shoulders or drag spent grain out of the mash tun.
- Someone who has flexibility with their work hours. With only one fermenter, you may be working on a Tuesday or a Saturday – it’s sporadic and it depends when the beer is ready. You need to be ready too.
- Someone who has a car and driver’s license. You will need to get yourself all the way to Eummemmering and back each shift and sometimes pick up supplies for the brewery.
- Someone who can commit to at least 12 months at Brownstone but we’d prefer it to be longer.
- Someone who has another form of part-time income. You’ll get some skills in this job but you won’t be able to live off a part-time wage. Maybe you have a bar job somewhere at night...I don’t know...but you will need to eat to survive and you won’t be able to do that with this job alone until the hours increase after the brewery is upgraded.
Tasks Of The Job Include:
- Working in a manner that is safe at all times.
- Raw ingredient handling, all aspects of a brew day, transferring wort and beer, yeast handling, packaging, monitoring fermentations, record keeping etc.
- Operate brewhouse with maximum attention to detail and accuracy (milling, mashing, lautering, proper gravities, etc.)
- Tank management (gravity checks, trub dumps and dry-hopping)
- CIP and Sanitization on all vessels (fermenters, heat exchanger, mash tun, kettle, and bright beer tanks)
- Maintaining a clean working environment. This is a brewery that’s on display to the public and it must look tip-top at all times.
- Mash tun cleaning including removal of spent grain
- Troubleshooting, technical maintenance and by-the-letter adherence to SOP’s
- Maintain an inventory of raw materials & brewery supplies
- Cleaning beer lines to ensure that the beer tastes awesome at the brewpub.
- Maintain brewery equipment as well as general facility.
Brewer Qualifications Required:
None. Nil. Nada. But if you already have a brewing qualification, you are studying for a brewing qualification or are looking to study for one in the future, this would be looked upon most favourably.
At a minimum, the brewer must have the following:
- A safety focus
- Strong work ethic and self-starting attitude
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Excellent organisation and communication skills
- The desire to learn
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods
- Ability to stoop, crawl, twist, turn, lift, kneel, climb ladders and stairs
- Ability to manipulate valves and clamps
- Ability to read and follow written English instructions
- Ability to regularly lift/carry heavy supplies, like bags of grain and kegs of beer
- Ability to work in a brewery environment which may be loud, slick, humid, and hot and cold
- Ability to comply with safe chemical handling procedures, including personal protection equipment such as gloves and goggles
Given the sporadic hours of this role and that you have employment elsewhere, this is a sub-contracting arrangement. You will need an ABN. An hourly rate with minimum shift length to cover travel time will be agreed with the right candidate.
How to apply:
If you are ready to join the Rockstar Brewer/Brownstone team, email your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rockstar Brewer and Brownstone Microbrewery are proud to be equal opportunity employers.
Applications close November 21, 2019.