The inaugural Carwyn Collaborational was one of the first major beer events to fall victim to COVID-19 and, while it won't be going ahead as planned in 2020, it will be going ahead in a very 2020 fashion.
The team at Carwyn Cellars initially pushed the event from March 28 to October 24 and are now pushing it from the streets of Thornbury to your home.
The concept at its core remains the same: eleven Aussie brewers paired with eleven internationals to create eleven unique beers.
It's just that now they'll be delivered wherever you want them in Australia and you'll "meet" the brewers virtually via a mix of pre-recorded interviews and live streams on the day.
So, while the in-person element won't be there for this year's festival, you'll be able to dip into the interviews, brewery tours and brewers talking about the beers at any time (and thus are guaranteed to remember them all!). There will also be prizes for the best "Festival At Home" setup.
PRE-SALE RUNS FROM MIDDAY AEST SEPT 2 FOR 48 HOURS. CRAFTY CABAL MEMBERS CAN ACCESS A DISCOUNT CODE
The brewery pairings as well as pricing and key dates can be found below. But, first, some "paperwork" for those who'd planned to attend the original event:
- Everyone who bought a ticket for the original festival can exchange it for a Festival Beer Box.
- This includes all Crafty Cabal members who either won a ticket or obtained one as a signup bonus to The Crafty Pint's beer club.
- Alternatively, you can request a refund.
- All Cabal members with tickets who claimed a $20 tasting bonus will instead be given credit to spend at Carwyn Cellars' online store. (We'll email members with details)
Want to know how beer festivals might look post-COVID? Head here.
The Boxes & Lineup
Each box costs $95 and will feature eleven beers (up to 440ml in size), a branded festival glass, a festival booklet and an invite to the virtual festival hosted by The Crafty Pint and the Carwyn team.
The brewery pairings are as follows, with the actual beers being kept under wraps for now (although we can tell you to look out for everything from imperial stout to hazy IPA to sour farmhouse ales and big IPAs):
- One Drop (Syd) & Cascade Brewing (Portland)
- Deeds (Melb) & Outer Range (Colorado)
- OCHO (Tas) & Stillwater (USA)
- Edge (Melb) & Beer Here (Denmark)
- Sailors Grave (VIC) & Arizona Wilderness (AZ)
- Felons (Bris) & Firestone Walker (Cali)
- Otherside (WA) & Garage Project (NZ)
- Mismatch (SA) & Track (UK)
- Boatrocker (Melb) & De Molen (Netherlands)
- Hawkers (Melb) & Bale Breaker (Washington)
- Mr Banks (VIC) & Interboro (NYC)
Please note: We do not recommend drinking all eleven beers by yourself on the day of the virtual festival. Either share the beery love with others (if possible), or re-watch the virtual material and take your time getting though the box!
- Sept 2 – midday AEST – Pre-sale begins.
Mailing list and Crafty Cabal members given $5 discount code valid for 48 hours
- Oct 24 – Virtual Carwyn Collaborational