Pickled Monkey has been around since 2018 but in 2024, they'll be opening their own brewery in the good beer hotspot of Marrickville. If you'd like to join them as their innaugral head brewer, they want to hear from you.
JOB DESCRIPTION: HEAD BREWER
Set to open in early 2024. Pickled Monkey has been around since 2018 but is now ready to brew in its own state of the art new brewery in the heart of Marrickville, NSW. The brewery will be attached to a 300-capacity venue that will be set in the style of an American Sports Bar with amazing food from 2 separate kitchens.
Pickled Monkey Brewing has ordered a state of the art, fully automated 20hL 3 Vessel brewhouse that is being commissioned in December 2023. We are looking to give someone the tools and the opportunity to stamp their name on a brand and beer company that is looking to be the new up and comer on the Australian Independent Craft Brewing scene.
The successful applicant will have at least four years of commercial brewing experience. In addition, you will be running a skilled and dedicated team, you will have a passion and pride in making beer of the highest quality and running a team that shares your passion for making the best beer possible.
This is a full-time permanent position that will involve shift work including after hours, weekend work, flexibility to work Monday - Friday or Tuesday - Saturday and public holidays on some occasions. It includes a competitive salary and benefits package, suited to their current skills and experience.
This person will report directly to the Managing Director. The role demands a key team player with the task of ensuring the smooth operation of the brewing facility and being responsible for delivering to the deadlines and requirements of the production schedule as well as developing beer recipes of a core range and then seasonal and specialty beers. Working with the MD and marketing team to develop a vision of what the brewer and company want to achieve in the beer space. We need our beer produced to-spec, on-time and in-full.
A degree from an accredited brewing school is preferred or equivalent experience. The position does require the ability to read and write English fluently, and the ability to perform advanced business mathematical functions.
4+ years of brewing experience in microbrewery with supervisory experience being desired. Knowledge of general brewing practices required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook) strongly recommended. Familiarity with Beer 3.0 Software, or a comparable inventory management software package, is beneficial.
Key responsibilities include:
- Development of beer recipes both core and specialties.
- Be the face and voice of the brewery.
- Develop production schedule.
- The delivery of the day-to-day operation of a Production Schedule
- Strive to relentlessly deliver high-quality beer on time.
- Ensure all product is tested in line with our Quality Control program.
- Support maintenance of Brewery equipment working with the operations director
- Diligence in abiding by quality standards and recipe requirements
- Accurately entering all required data into brewery management software
- Driving continual improvement, development and implementation of standards and processes
- Ensuring that all safety measures and procedures as defined by Pickled Monkey and the Operations Director are met and respected.
- Represent the brewery and engage directly with our customers and communities in the venue and in trade, at festivals and the wider brewing community.
- Executing individual accountabilities given by Head Brewer
- Having fun and ensuring your team loves and respects the brand.
Essential Duties and Requirements
- Performing brewing, cellaring, packaging, and quality control operations
- In-depth knowledge of the brewing process and a good understanding of packaging operations
- Maintaining a clean and safe work environment for efficient operation
- Ability to operate to a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving ability
- Operating and optimising packaging equipment to the highest of work standards
- Be physically fit (willing and able to perform Labour intensive work)
- Actively participating in Continuous Improvement activities across safety, quality and efficiency within the brewery environment
- Forklift usage to load/unload raw materials and finished product
Our successful candidate will demonstrate the following
- Excellent workplace behaviour including strong teamwork, integrity, and consistency.
- Thrive on best manufacturing practices.
- The ability to work safely and have the physical capacity to perform the manual tasks associated with the position.
- A highly motivated attitude and the ability to work unsupervised, as well as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility with changing shifts to meet tight deadlines.
- Meticulously clean
- Follow instructions precisely.
- An ability and willingness to learn new skills and a desire to mentor and coach other team members.
Education and Skill:
- IBD diploma or equivalent brewing qualification (TAFE) is advantageous to your application.
- Forklift Licence (essential)
- Driver Licence (Full manual driver's license, preferred not essential)
- First Aid Certificate (preferred, not essential)
- Boiler Ticket (preferred, not essential)
- Full, unrestricted working rights in Australia
If you feel like you have what it takes and want to be part of this team send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
DONT F@#K WITH THE MONKEY