One of The Crafty Pint’s first “research” trips when the site was a mere inkling of an idea took in the Victorian High Country.
While sitting in the beer garden of Bright Brewery, pint in hand, looking out over the Ovens River and the mountains surrounding it, there was an inescapable sense that, yes, this could one day be home.
Whether that transpires remains to be seen, but if you’re an experienced brewer looking for the chance to brew some of the finest beers in Australia while living in a place that offers every outdoor activity imaginable, then read onâ¦
Job Description: Brewer
Bright Brewery is a family owned and operated brewery that has been producing reputable MountainCrafted beers in the spectacular alpine town of Bright since 2005. In 2012 we substantially expanded our brewery and adjoining bar facilities to cater for the increasing local demand for our beers. We are now well positioned for further growth through increased distribution.
We are seeking an experienced and qualified brewer to join our creative, innovative and fun team. The precise nature and scope of the role will depend on your experience and interests, but generally your day to day duties will include wort production, cellar operations, yeast propagation, packaging (keg and bottle), basic lab work, and as always, lots of cleaning.
You will also be involved in recipe development, taste panels, our HAACP program and continual improvement processes. You will complete and maintain brewing logs and supplementary documentation and have an understanding of excise and reporting obligations.Â Occasionally you may represent Bright Brewery at festivals, tastings, and industry events, so your ability to talk in an accessible and engaging way about the beer you make is a big plus.
- Have either experience working in a brewery or a brewing qualification.
- Have strong technical brewing knowledge, including knowledge of raw materials, wort production, yeast and fermentation, QC and troubleshooting.
- Have knowledge and/or experience of CIP.
- Have knowledge and/or experience of packaging and kegging (there will be lots of this!).
- Be flexible and able to work around changing and seasonal production schedules.
- Have a dedication above all to beer quality.
Other desirable selection criteria:
- Knowledge of HACCP programs.
- Forklift licence.
- Experience in production scheduling.
- Experience in product development.
- Knowledge of wastewater management.
- Lab experience.
- An ability to passionately talk about beer and the brewing process.
- An interest in the outdoors and the alpine environment.
- Love (or at least tolerance) of hip-hop during brewing and packingâ¦
The position is full time and a competitive remuneration package will be offered to the right candidate, commensurate with their level of knowledge and experience. We encourage broad and active lifestyles, and flexible working arrangements may be negotiated to accommodate this. In our rapidly growing company there will regularly be opportunities for career advancement to candidates who show dedication to their craft and a willingness to learn.
Bright Brewery is an equal opportunity employer and this position offers a chance to live in a truly beautiful place with world class mountain biking, cycling, hiking, camping, paragliding, snow and river sports.
Applications can be made confidentially by sending a covering letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 8th August, 2014.