Manly Spirits Co make gins, botanical vodkas and whiskies inspired by life in coastal New South Wales.
To help out with whisky production, the team is currently hiring a brewer and distiller.
Job Description: Brewer/distiller
Manly Spirits is seeking a brewer to lead brewing activities at our Distillery located on Sydney’s northern beaches. The role is part of the Manly Spirits production team which produces a range of craft spirits with a strong focus on developing its range of quality whiskies and gins. It is a position that focuses on brewing activities associated with whisky production.
Responsibilities include leading brewing operations, still operation, product development, quality control, product testing and sourcing raw material. The brewer is responsible for the operations of the brewhouse to ensure optimum spirit yield and product quality to create an outstanding product.
To be successful in this role the applicant will need a strong passion for craft beer and spirits and have a production background in brewing.
Manage brewing operations
- Responsibility for managing the distillery’s brewing operations as an active brewer.
- Train and develop other production team members to operate the brewhouse at optimum efficiency.
- Monitor and optimise brewhouse yield and continuously improve operations.
- Hands on operation of the stills including Monday to Friday early and late shifts.
- Work with safety, health and environment management systems continuing development and implementation.
Developing new products and efficiencies
- Work alongside the Distillery Manager to optimise quality and consistency of our products and therefore sales growth
- Maintaining equipment where possible and otherwise managing contractors from time to time and development of an ongoing maintenance schedule to ensure downtime is minimised
Optimise processes for making spirits with Distillery Manager
- Maintain process logs and detailed records to ensure the product meets quality guidelines and accuracy of the inventory management system.
- Participating in work related events from time to time outside of normal work hours
- Liaise with customers, the media, other distilleries and wholesalers to promote the distillery and its products
- Lead visitor tours and tastings at the Distillery in conjuction with other staff
- Live the Manly Spirits brand
Previous production experience
- Minimum 3 years commercial production experience in brewing.
Quality assurance experience
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a quality of product
- Strong passion for the burgeoning craft spirits scene
- Highly energetic and results orientation
- Highly reliable and able to work in teams and autonomously
- Excellent communication skills and public speaking skills. Enjoy dealing with people and have an enthusiasm for sharing what we are doing at the distillery with our visitors
- Strong customer focus
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of brewing
- Developed sensory skills for tasting and evaluating spirits
- Strong scientific knowledge. Appreciation and developed theoretical knowledge of the distilled spirits production processes
- Must be very methodical, logical and detail orientated
- Quality control skills
- Operational Excellence - maintains a high level of personal and process safety - development and use of robust operating procedures – care and protection of the environment
- NSW Drivers License or equivalent (required) and NSW Forklift License (preferred)
- Qualification in Brewing (highly regarded)
- Experience in related brewing production (3 years minimum)
- Current NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol certification (preferred)
Applicants should include a cover letter explaining about yourself plus a resume describing your relevant work experience and references.
You can call David on 0421 324 074 for a confidential chat.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.