What's a blobfish?
In the natural world, it's a deep sea species of fish inhabiting waters off Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand once voted the most hideous creature on earth.
Now, for beer lovers, it's something rather more appealing: a new wild and sour beer festival from the team at Hop Nation.
As they put it: "Like the blobfish, sour, funky and wild beers emerge from the depths of the beer scene – intriguing, slightly obscure, somewhat unknown but always exciting."
They'll be emerging at Melbourne's iconic Meat Market, where 16 breweries from across Australia plus a handful from overseas will gather for two sessions on August 24. (See below for brewer lineup)
Also on the lineup will be a special festival restaurant, an oyster bar, premium cheese, a bottleshop for unique takeaways, live acoustic music, natural wine, and more.
Attendees will be able to learn about barrel programs, chat to brewers, eat delicious food, listen to great music – alongside some of the best craft beer coming out of Australia.
- Session one: 11.30am to 3pm
- Session two: 4.30pm to 8pm
Tickets: $70pp plus BF, which covers:
- entry to the festival
- a premium branded festival glass for you to keep
- $20 of tasting tokens
- a food voucher for the festival restaurant
- a festival booklet
Crafty Cabal Bonus
We've got our hands on tickets to give away to member of The Crafty Cabal, our beer lovers bonus scheme. So, if you fancy getting one into your hands, here's how:
- Existing members can enter a ballot in their member's area now. We'll pick the winners on June 30 to give you plenty of time to grab a ticket if you miss out.
- Or you can get your hands on one as a signup bonus. UPDATE (12/6): Sorry – they've been snapped up already.
Showcasing their sour, wild and funky beers at Blobfish 2019 include:
- Site Fermentation Project
- Ocho Beer
- Bridge Road Brewers
- The Barrel Farm by Blackman’s
- Molly Rose
- Fathom by Green Beacon
- Future Mountain
- Sailors Grave
- 3 Ravens
- Dollar Bill Brewing
- The Beerfarm
- Van Dieman
- La Sirène
- Garage Project (NZ)
- 8 Wired Brewing (NZ)