“Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely.”
So goeth the words of Pulitzer Prize winning poet Edna St. Vincent Millay, but it's highly unlikely she was talking about beer. However, we are – and an awful lot of good, dark beer at that.
Form Monday 13 July through to Sunday 26 July, The Alehouse Project will be holding their third festival dedicated to the dark side of beer.
In short, it's 38 beers from 31 breweries over 14 days, featuring some of the best - but certainly not the brightest - beers in the land, including cellar aged beers, beer launches and one-off creations.
Here's how they line up...
- 3 Ravens "Ayahuasca" Bourbon Barrel Aged Quadrupel
- 7 cent "Lexington" Freeze Distilled Imperial Baltic Porter
- Bacchus "The Black Swamp" Russian Imperial Session Stout on Nitro
- Black Dog "Mocha Mongrel" Coffee India Black Ale
- Blackman's "Arthur" Smoked Porter
- Bridge Road "Sundae Session" Vanilla Dark Lager
- Bridge Road "B2 Bomber Mach 5.0" Black Belgo India Ale
- Cavalier "2015 Imperial Stout"
- Hargreaves Hill "Old Brown Ale" Flanders Ale
- Heretic "Incubus" 2014 Bourbon Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout
- HopDog BeerWorks "6TenK II" Bourbon & Oak Robust Porter
- Holgate "Unkel" Dunkel Weizenbock
- Holgate "Temptress" Chocolate Porter on Hand Pull
- Homestead "Cuvee Special" Oak Aged Dark Ale
- Illawarra "Nitro" Coffee Milk Stout on Nitro
- Kaiju! "We Make Stout Now?" American Stout
- Liberty + Panhead "Skidmark" Oak Aged Imperial Brown Ale
- Little Creatures "Return of the Dread" Domestic Extra Stout
- Modus Operandi "Total Eclipse" Lark Whisky Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout
- Moo Brew "2013 Vintage Stout"
- Moo Brew "2015 Harvest Ale" Belgian Strong Dark Ale
- Mornington Peninsula "Black Lager"
- Mornington Peninsula "Double Black IPA"
- Mornington Peninsula "2013 Russian Imperial Stout"
- Moon Dog "Black Lung V" Smokey Imperial Stout Aged in Pedro Ximenez Barrels
- Nail "2015 Clout Stout"
- New England "Belgian Honey Amber Ale" w/ Mushrooms & Stringy Bark Honey
- Noisy Minor "Yastrebov" 2014 Ukrainian Imperial Stout
- Panhead "Blacktop" Oat Stout on Hand Pull
- Panhead + The Alehouse Project "Softail Shane" Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee & Vanilla Imperial Stout
- Pirate Life "Barb Noire" Black Belgian IIPA
- Red Hill "2015 Double Barrel Aged Imperial Stout"
- Rocks "Exiled" Sour Cherry Porter
- Temple "Anders Norman" Black & Tan
- Thirsty Crow "Deets of the Devil" Smoked Chilli Porter
- Thirsty Crow "Road to Ruin" Imperial Espresso Stout on Nitro
- To Øl "Sur Maelk" 2014 Sour Imperial Stout
- Van Diemen "One Night in a Black Tent" Black Barley Wine
Note: there'll be a lager, pale ale and a cider on tap if you think you might need a refresher...