If you prefer hops and hot sauce over horses, spend your Cup Day the right way at Carwyn Cellars for their annual Taco of the Dead celebration.
Taco de los Muertos, as they've called it, is something of a mishmash of a concept that combines Mexican Day of the Dead celebrations with beer launches, hot sauce and a plentiful supply of tacos.
It's the official Victorian launch venue for Garage Project's annual Day of the Dead releases so the kiwi brewery will feature heavily on the taps. In addition, there'll be a heap of Mexican-inspired beers (not the ones with lemon in a bottle) plus a one-off mango & habanero spiked India saison from Wolf of the Willows and Melbourne Hot Sauce (who will also be responsible for slinging tacos – see below):
- 40 Ft Brewing Co. Gran Humo Negro Chipotle & morita smoked porter
- Garage Project La Calavera Catrina Habanero, watermelon & rosewater infused lager
- Garage Project Day of the Dead Chipotle, cacao, vanilla and agave dark lager
- Garage Project Grinderman Chocolate milk stout with coffee
- Garage Project Wabi Sabi Sour Yuzu & honeydew melon sour
- Garage Project Texas Tea Hoppy brown ale with habanero and prickly pear
- Rogue Chipotle Ale
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Wolf of the Willows / Melbourne Hot Sauce (collaboration) Habanero & Mango India Saison
- Wolf of the Willows XPA
- Wolf of the Willow IPA
- Wolf of the Willows Johnny Smoke Porter
You'll also be able to grab one litre jugs of Mezcal Paloma.
These guys will be available from midday until dusk (or when they're sold out):
- 40ft Brewing Carnitas Gran Humo Negro Pork Shoulder, Epazote crema, Chipotle Almonds, Red cabbage, Smoked salt
- Wolf of the Willows Ropa Vieja Johnny smoke porter Beef Brisket, Pico de gallo, Pickled red onion, Wild rice, Cos lettuce
- Ceviche Lime cured snapper, Jalapeno, Watermelon, Tomatillo salsa, Coriander
- Calabaza Roast pumpkin, Fennel slaw, Guacamole, Pepitas, Smoked paprika
Being Cup Day, it's worth pointing out that Carwyn Cellars is a horse-free zone so you won't have to pretend to feign an interest in the big race this year...